The German language is a west Germanic language mainly spoken in the central Europe, it is also the most spoken and official or co-official language in Germany, Australia, Switzerland, Liechtenstein,The Italian province of South Tyrol, also a co-official language of Luxembourg, Belgium and parts of South Western Poland.
German is most similar to other languages within the West Germanic language branch which include Afrikaans, Dutch, English, The Frisian languages, Low German, Luxembourgish, Scots and Yiddish. The German language is rated the second most widely spoken language after English.
German language is the 11th most widely spoken language in the world today which have over 95million native speakers around the world and another 10-15 million who speak it as a second language, majority of its speakers live in Europe. It’s important to note that German language isn’t limited to Germany.
Some facts about the German language:
- German nouns are capitalized
- there are three genders: masculine, feminine and neuter
- German is roughly 60 percent similar to English
- Denglish is increasingly popular these are German- English hybrid words such as “die air condition” for air conditioning
- German often has large compound words
The German language is one of the most studied language, it takes time and commitment another interesting thing is that it is similar to English
Example; haus- house
winding- windy e.t.c